Consigliere – Ufficio del Presidente, Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri
- Professor of Social Statistics at the Sapienza University of Rome.
- Editor-in-Chief of Social Indicators Research journal (Springer)
- Editor-in-Chief of Encyclopedia of Quality-of-Life and Well-being Research (Springer).
- Past-president of the International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies (ISQOLS) and chair and organizer of two ISQOLS conferences (Florence, 2009; Venice, 2012).
- President and co-founder of the Italian Association for Quality-of-Life Studies (AIQUAV).
- Member of the Secretariat of the Italian Alliance for Sustainable Development (Alleanza Italiana per lo Sviluppo Sostenibile, ASviS), responsible of indicators management for monitoring Sustainable Development in Italy.
- Scientific Director and co-founder of the Cyber Security and International Relations Laboratory (CIRLab)
- Scientific Director and founder of Laboratory of Statistics for Research in Social and Economic field (StaRSE)
- Editor of the section “Macroscopio. Osservare, analizzare e comprendere la complessità” in the journal Persone e Conoscenze, Este Publisher.
Member of ad-hoc national and international committees:
Advisor of several governmental organizations and member of ad-hoc committees, in particular:
- Scientific Committee for the Measurement of Wellbeing – BES project (Commissione scientifica per la misura del benessere – progetto BES; Italian National Institute of Statistics – ISTAT)
- Expert Group on Quality of life (Eurostat – European Commission)
- External Expert on Survey Management and Quality of life (covering Quality of life and quality of society, and Public services) at Eurofound (European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions) – Agency of the European Union
- Consultant of DG Budget (European Commission) for defining an evaluation system of indicators
- Scientific Committee for Social Progress Index for Europe (DG-Regio – European Commission)
- Expert Group on “European Research Area” Survey (DG for Research and Innovation – European Commission)
- Global Project Research Network on Measuring the Progress (Wikiprogress – OECD)
Advisor of the Italian National Institute of Statistics (ISTAT) with reference to quality-of-life and wellbeing measurement. Organizer with ISTAT of the event celebrating the 20-year ISTAT Multipurpose project (2014).
Keynote speaker and lecturer – invited all over the world by:
- international institutions and organizations: European Commission (Eurostat, European Institute for Gender Equality, Eurofound), ISQOLS, IPSI, OECD, ESTAT, ESAC, etc.
- foreigner institutions and organizations: German Federal Government, Finnish Government (Ministry of Social Affairs), Austrian Statistical Society (Österreichischen Statistischen Gesellschaft), Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Romanian Academy of Sciences, Central Statistical Office of Poland (GUS), GESIS, MZES, Villa Vigoni – German-Italian Cultural Centre,
- universities: University of Eastern Finland, Shandong University (China), University of Palermo (Buenos Aires, Argentina), University of Mannheim, ESADA, University of Wroclaw, Warsaw
Kozminski University, Plovdiv University “Paisii Hilendarski”, Bucharest Christian University “Dimitrie Cantemir“,University of Neuchâtel, University of Lausanne, University of Oradea, University of Hannover, Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University (CSWU), etc.
- Italian universities: University Ca’ Foscari, University of Pisa, University of Siena, Università Cattolica (Milan and Piacenza), University of Milan – Bicocca, University of Turin, University of Brescia, University of Bergamo, IULM – Milan, etc.
- Italian institutions and organizations: ISTAT, CNR – Pisa, Province of Pisa, Province of Lucca, Province of Pesaro, Cuspi, Accademia dei Georgofili, Forum PA, AGENAS, Expo-2015, Regione
Sardegna, SIPP, CUCS, AISRE, CISED, PLEF, CARIPLO, COOP, PLEF, Misericordie, Telefono Amico, SiCC, Change, etc.
Member of several international associations, scientific journals’ editorial boards, conference scientific committees.
Chair and organizers of several international and national scientific conferences. Invited as session organizer and chair at many international and national conferences (ISI, ISA, ISQOLS, EUROSTAT; ISTAT, SIS, SIPP, etc.)
Founder and coordinator of the International II level master “QoLexity. Measuring, Monitoring and Analysis of Quality of Life and its Complexity” at the University of Florence (the master has been closed).
Awards and recognitions:
- 2007: Research Fellow Award “for her substantial contribution to Quality of Life research” – International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies, awarded at the VIII Conference of International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies – San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, San Diego, California, USA, December 6-9, 2007.
- 2013: Honourable member of the Romanian Sociological Association.
- 2014: Distinguished Service Award “for her extraordinary contributions to institution building directly related to quality of life research” – International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies, awarded at the XII Conference of International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies – Berlin, Germany, September 15-18, 2014.
Research interests and expertise:
- Definition and construction of indicators and systems of indicators
- Statistics and complexity (definition of indicators and statistical analysis in complex system; forecasting in complex systems).
- Composite and synthetic indicators (proponent of innovative approach for synthesizing indicators).
- Social Indicators.
- Social indicators and Big Data.
- Big Data and Official Statistics.
- Representing and communicating complex data
- Statistics and political communication.
Domains of application:
- Quality of life, quality of society; wellbeing measurement and analysis.
- Beyond GDP indicators.
- Inequalities and Sustainability indicators.
- Measuring deprivation and poverty.
- Data revolution.
In this moment, interests are focused on:
- mining social indicators from Big Data;
- analytical approached in complex system: the case of social sustainability
- forecasting in complex systems: from observing change to sketching futures (complexity and uncertainty: a socio-economic-environmental approach to the definition of futures in the
perspectives of sustainable development
- innovative approaches to synthesizing indicators; managing and synthesising indicators in complex systems (Poset, self-organizing maps, graph theory, …)
On these topics, author, editor and co-editor of several publications, volumes and books, mainly in international contexts.
(i) data production (surveys, assessing subjective data);
(ii) data analysis (multivariate and dimensional analysis, scaling models, construction of synthetic indicators);
(iii) data presentation and communication (assessing quality of communication in statistics);
(iv) statistical methods for complexity.
University official courses: Statistical indicators: theory, methods and applications, Big Data for Official Statistics, Statistical Methods for Official Statistics, Social Statistics, Statistics for Social Research, Statistics Applied to Educational Research, Statistical Data Analysis (Multivariate Analysis Techniques, Dimensional Analysis, Item Analysis), Multivariate Statistics for Social Research, Measuring and Statistical Analysis of Subjective Data, Social Indicators.
Seminars regularly held for different Ph.D programs in several Universities.